Tuesday, November 3, 2009

First Things First

Ok, so before I tell you all about our wedding plans, I think we need to back up just a little, so I can tell you the story of how an astronomer ends up dating, falling in love with, and marrying an architect.

Now I'm going to preface this story by saying that, at the time I met the Architect, I was pursuing a graduate degree in astronomy at a notable school, and I was more likely to meet a boy that I liked over coffee while discussing quantum mechanics than I was to find true love in a bar or a club. But things never exactly turn out the way you expect them to, do they? Internet, if you promise not to judge me, I will tell you the true story of an astronomer meeting an architect... at a club. You can probably already see where this is going.

So... in December of 2005 my good friend C (who will hereafter be referred to as bridesmaid C) had her birthday party at a club in downtown Boston. The attendees of this party were mostly women (many of them single women), and one of the single women happened to bring her male roommate to the party. Yes, that was the Architect. I introduced myself to the Architect while we were all sitting around having drinks, and then we both quickly went back to talking with our respective friends. Imagine my surprise, when later that night on the dance floor I feel a hand on my hip... and the Architect is trying to dance with me of all people. I danced with him on and off throughout the rest of the night. At the end of the night, the people who had stuck it out until the end of the party went out to grab some late-night pizza before heading home. I thought that the Architect might ask me for my phone number at this point... but he didn't. Oh well. With no way of getting in touch with me, I figured that maybe I would see him again at some future party, or maybe I wouldn't. His loss, right? :-)

Bridesmaid C gettin' down

M, Bridesmaid L, Me, and Bridesmaid C


That's the Architect in the top left corner. See? I told you he was surrounded by lots of single women all night :-)

Fast forward another week, and I get an email from a guy through an online dating service that I was partaking in. I check out the guy's profile, and I am totally surprised to see that it's the Architect. How he managed to find me on an anonymous dating service was somewhat of a mystery to me. He still swears to this day that he was just searching through some profiles, and my picture came up. He had been thinking about tracking down my contact info through bridesmaid C, so coming across my profile online must have been fate.

I replied to his email and suggested that he might want to come to a holiday party that my housemates and I were throwing the following weekend. I doubted he would show, but I was in the awkward position where I had already invited his roommate to the party, so I didn't want to leave him without an invite. Well, in the end he came to the party, and this time the two of us ended up talking the whole night and getting to know each other far better than we had at the club a few weeks previous. It turned out that this architect guy who I had danced with at a club actually had a lot in common with me. He even said he liked astronomy... which btw I totally thought was just a pickup line to begin with, but then he impressed me with his vast knowledge about my chosen field.

...and, as they say, the rest is history.

Have you ever started a successful relationship with a guy who you met at a club or a bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment